St Anne's Urban Trail Run - Sunday 22nd March 2015

Final Results Here for Long Race 8km

Final Results Here for Short Race 4km

ALL 2015 RACE PHOTOS ON OUTFRONT Facebook Page


Forget about times on watches and pounding boring tarmac!

Take the Urban Trail Challenge Now and Enjoy your Running yes

 


St Anne's Park Urban Trail Race on Sunday 9th March 2014

Final Results - St Annes 2014 - Long race (2 Laps - 8.5km)

Final Results - St Annes 2014 - Short Race (1 Lap - 4.25km)

Checkout Outfront's Facebook page for the Race Photos- Free to use, tag and share

See you for our next Urban Trail Run in St Anne's Park in 2015 yes 

           

                                                    

2015 St Anne's Race Briefing Information Document HERE


 

For a map of St. Annes Park please click here

In line with our environmental awareness ethos we would ask participants to cycle, car pool or use public transport where possible.

Buses serving the park are the 130 and 29A

Nearest Dart Stations are at Raheny and Harmonstown - about 15mins by foot to the Reg / Start area at the Red Stables, St. Anne's Park

It is only 7.7km from O 'Connell Bridge to the Red Stables using cycle paths all the way following the route given HERE
 

Tir Na N'Og Caife open 7 days a week from 9.30am at the Red Stables - For excellent cakes, coffee, breakfasts, lunches, etc!c

Toilets are available in market area in addition to the Portaloos being provided adjacent to the start

 A Farmers Market takes place in the Courtyard in the Red Stables on Saturdays from 9.00am to 5.00pm. See www.fingalmarkets.com for more details.St. Anne's Park in Clontarf/Raheny is a hidden gem when it comes to trail running. The park is sandwiched between Raheny and the Howth Road and provides some of the best parktrails in Dublin amongst curious architecture and mysterious gardens.

This is an interesting route through some fine oak, ash and chestnut forest. The trails weave their way though historical arches, past disused clocktowers, bandstands and old walls.

There is a surprise around every corner on the St. Anne's trails.

The conditions underfoot are classic trail running material, some on grass but mainly on hard packed trails with a carpet of fallen leaves plus some tarmac.

Recent "buggy friendly" improvements to park trails will be reflected in improved trail quality though we would of course prefer less tarmac. A doggie park is another of the improvements in park that visitors can enjoy. Our trail race route will be slightly longer this year to reflect those changes (~4.25km* / lap).

Expect a quick course with some exciting twists, turns and unexpected up and down terrain.

*These races are not intended to be on a certified distance course.

Exact distance will be dependant on inspection of prevailing ground conditions with park supervisor in the days immediately prior to the race but will be as close to above distances as we can make them.

Prizes for our 2014 Series will be tankards provided by Crannmor Pottery to top 3 and 1st 40+ & 50+ in each race

We are grateful to Dublin City Council for making this great park available for our event again in 2014


St Anne's Park - 16th March 2013

  St Anne's Park 2013 8.5km Results

 St Anne's Park 2013 4.25km Results

 

2013 Tymon photos all now posted on Outfront's Facebook Page 


 

                                                         

More General Infomation About St. Anne's Park


The brothers Arthur and Benjamin Lee Guinness built up an estate of nearly 123.75 hectares from 1835 onwards in the Clontarf/Raheny area and called the estate St. Anne's after the Holy Well of the same name on the lands. Sir Arthur Edward Guinness (Lord Ardilaun) was the person most responsible for expanding and developing the estate and gardens and planted evergreen (Holm) oaks and pines along the main avenue and estate boundaries.

Lord and Lady Ardilaun had no children and the estate passed to their nephew Bishop Plunkett in the 1920s. In 1937, he decided he could no longer maintain such a large estate and negotiations with the Corporation resulted in the house and estate being sold to the Corporation for approximately £55,000 in 1939.
Bishop Plunkett retained Sybil Hill (now St. Paul's College) as a private residence with 30 acres of parkland. In December 1943, the main residence of St. Anne's "The Mansion" was gutted by a fire and the ruins demolished in 1968. In the meantime, just over 200 acres of the estate were developed for public housing with the central most attractive portion comprising about 270 acres retained as parkland.

The elaborate Tudor redbrick Ardilaun stables survive, as do most of the follies. A structural survey of these follies was carried out in 2009 with a view to conservation/restoration & the creation of a ‘Follies Trail’, complete with interpretive signage.

In the Central Nurseries, located behind the Clocktower Gardens, over 600,000 seasonal bedding plants are produced annually for the city’s parks. The wooden planters to be seen on the Liffey Boardwalk and elsewhere throughout the city, along with the tiered floral planters, are also produced & maintained within the Nursery.
                                                    
The park is intensively used by the public through its 35 playing pitches, 18 hard-surfaced tennis courts, 4 Boules courts and a par-3 golf course. playground, fitted out with suitable units to compliment the parkland setting, along with a picnic area, is located close to the Red Stables. 
The ‘Nanekin’ river flows through the park from the Howth Rd to the ornamental pond, then to the sea. Woodland paths add to the charm of the park. 
The park also has a remote-controlled model car track, located off All Saints Road, on the Raheny side of the Park.
In 1975, St. Anne's Rose Garden was opened to the public. In 1980 it was given a Civic Award by Bord Failte and the Irish Town Planning Institute and since 1981 it has been a centre for International Rose Trials. here is an annual Rose Festival held in the Park on the 3rd weekend of July.

To celebrate Dublin’s Millennium year in 1988, the Parks Department in co-operation with the Tree Council of Ireland, initiated the Millennium Arboretum. Consisting of 16 acres located between the main avenue and St Anne’s housing estate, the arboretum is planted with over 1000 types of tees and was sponsored by 1000 participants.
Dogs are allowed off lead up to 11.00am each day & for the last hour before official Park Closing Time. At all other times, dogs must be kept on a leash. There is a dedicated ‘Dog Park’ beside the Model Car track where dogs may be let off lead at all other times. 

More recently, improvements to the park include the refurbishment of the Red Stables, providing and Arts Centre, Restaurant & regular Farmers Market; New entrance gates and piers at the end of the Main Avenue; Resurfacing of over 15,000m2 of the path network; Re-landscaping of the Mount Prospect Ave/James Larkin Rd junction & ongoing boundary improvements.    
Ongoing works to upgrade the existing Par 3 Golf Course to an 18 Hole Course are expected to be completed during 2010.
The walled garden, added to the estate by Bishop Plunkett, is being converted into Allotments for opening in 2010

 


2012 Results of 8k Race 

2012 Results of 4k Race

2012 Race Photos Now Available HERE from Action Photography

 


2012 Race Prizes were kindly provided by Columbia and Pure Magic (Clontarf and Achill)

 


Urban Trails Race in St. Annes on Saturday 9th April 2011 

Full 2011 results now available at results page and Photos HERE

 


St Annes Park - December 18th 2010

RACE RESULTS HERE

RACE PHOTOS HERE